Adventures

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Just some thoughts on life...


Life here in Uganda is amazing. I love living in a place that is filled with new and interesting things. I absolutely love the culture and just how different living here is like. I love waking up in the morning knowing that I will have to fully depend on the Lord, that I will expect to do something that is out of my comfort zone, or something that just doesn’t make sense to most people. I love walking down the beautiful dirt roads and have dozens of kids call to me and wave to me. I love seeing how people live and wish I knew their story, or what it felt like to not be a stranger in this land. 
There is so much I could say about life here. It really makes me look at my “normal” life differently. There are so many things that are easily taken for granted for, and things not taken enough advantage of. Its amazing how much you can learn living in a different culture, country, continent. I do things that the people here think is silly but when they laugh I have learned to look at it as me bringing them joy. So what if I feel my tomatoes before I buy them? If you think its funny, go ahead and laugh, at least I am bringing you a little bit of happiness. 
Through this experience I have learned so much about God, who he is and how much he loves his people. I have learned about parenting and how much parents go through seeing their children get hurt, go down the wrong path, or make poor decisions. I have had my heart broken and my heart filled with joy in the same hour; I have seen the most beautiful sunrise and a night sky that is cluttered with stars; I have seen a school that is exploding with Gods will and a bar that reeks of captivity, corruption and emptiness. 
This past month my mind has been filled each day with new perspectives, words of wisdom, and Gods will. I don’t really know how to explain everything that I see and experience and I fear that it is going to become overwhelming. This has become my life and I couldn’t imagine anywhere I would rather be. My life is not easy, but its also not hard living in a place you feel called to. There are obstacles to overcome, attacks to fight, and lessons to be learned, but I am filled with a peace and a trust that can only come from the Lord.
            My past week has truly been amazing. Wednesday began with a beautiful sunrise Boda ride. That is a sight to see; the stunning African sun rising over Eucalyptus  trees, huts and simply just life waking up. The ride was a last hurrah for Ashely, one of the new friends I met here in Gulu; she was leaving to go back to the US. I learned that day that that is the best way to wake up. My day continued to be amazing. I taught a discipleship lesson to a class of awesome Primary 3 students, and then had some great meetings with the amazing Pastor Ron and Mamma Joy. The week continued in the same fashion with a delicious cheesy-pesto-sun dried tomato-pasta and podcast night and then a beautiful weekend in Kampala. 
        Everyday, is just another day to enjoy my time here, to take advantage of all that I can learn. Everyday is a chance to see what the Lord has in store and a chance for me to take risks and live a life that demands an explanation.






Stay tuned for a post about Kampala and the RH team. And don't forget, my big news is coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment