Adventures

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Made it home...


Wednesday May 30th - Thursday May 31st

Arriving in Uganda was amazing! I sat in the plane next to a man named Joe, he was funny, he had a wife and three kids but of course he was telling me he liked me and that we should hang out while I was in Uganda. He was 30 something years old by the way and there was no way I was letting this man think I was interested. He told me he wouldn’t watch movies because he said watching me was better....yea six hours of that. I tried to keep busy and read or sleep, not taking up his offer to sleep on his shoulder, so I managed to avoid some awkward conversations. Joe was also a business man and tried to get me to roll his bag through security. This man, let me tell you, almost got me in trouble, thankfully I got out of there before I had to spend time behind bars in a Ugandan prison. On a lighter note, when I walked out Stefanie was there holding a sign that read “ Welcome home Mary”. Home. I love that. I was thinking about it and I really do spend more time consecutively in Uganda then I do at my home in San Diego (sorry Mom and Dad).We met our driver and I met the 31bits  staff, Emily and the newest edition Kristin. 
The rest of the day was spent running errands, getting to know each other, and eat some yummy Ugandan food. The four of us walked to this really cool cafe where they had free wifi, smoothies and played movies outside. It was just relaxing and comforting being able to handle a few last things I needed to do and was so grateful for the invention of the internet. We then headed to dinner at a Thai place right around the corner, oh how I love Ugandan food service (no sarcasm intended). Eating out here is such an enjoyable process, yes everything takes longer but I love the quality time you get to have, its not just in and out and thats it. You really get to take advantage of really just enjoying time with others and then after the long wait, enjoy good food. The next morning we were headed out to Gulu. I was so excited, Kampala is cool but my heart is definitely in Gulu. 
In Africa there is this thing called, Africa time. This is something you experience everyday, you call a boda or a driver to pick you up and you are bound to wait much longer than expected. After waiting, and loading up all our luggage we went to a factory to pick up paper for 31bits (www.31bits.com) and again we waited again. It really made it clear to me what doing business in a developing country looks like, all the while Stefanie was in the middle of her own TIA (this is Africa) moment trying to get supplies and things for Remnant. We finally started our journey up north around lunch time and finally got to Gulu late evening. The road to Gulu is long and bumpy but surrounded by beautiful views and people not to mention crossing over the Nile. 
I met my new roommate Sarah and got a little settled in my on and off living space for the next two months. It was really cool to see how ex-pats live here, and the community that has been created. Sarah has been blessed with the gift of hospitality and hosts a bible study/dinner on Thursdays and Mexican night on Fridays; I am so excited to be included in these events and see the lives of people who live here long term. 
Today is my first day of work with Remnant Uganda. Stef and I our currently skyping with Yvette, the founder of the organization, and then will head out to greet the ladies. I am so excited to be here to be used and to get a better idea of what working here or abroad looks like.
Pray requests: Good health, good attitude, Remnant Uganda, Bammer, to be open to everything God wants me to see and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment