Adventures

Monday, June 18, 2012

Under the Gulu Sun...


         Stef left for Kampala the Monday after the wedding, so I pretty much was in charge; I had only been around for a week but Stef was confident I could handle it. I was on my own for a good two and a half days but the ladies and I managed to get a lot done which is really good considering I am no expert when it comes to screen printing. Power was somehow there somehow not and that Tuesday was my 6th day of not taking a shower and about the 10th day without water. That's life in Africa for you, but regardless of how i smelled or what machines we couldn’t use the ladies made me proud and we had a great time together. It was a really good experience having to handle things on my own, figure things out and take on the streets of Gulu without my fearless guide. I loved going solo but I love having Stef around even more. Staying here with Stef has been so awesome, I am blessed to know her and get to see her be the rock star that she is. I often find my self quiet, just observing how she interacts with the ladies, locals and just anyone  she encounters. She is completely comfortable here and it is truly amazing to see. I have learned so much by simply just watching her and having really great conversations with her. Its amazing that we spend everyday together and we still are not sick of each other!  While in Kampala Stef picked up a couple of movies and we quickly became addicted to the TV show Revenge. If you haven’t watched it yet get that on your Netflix ASAP! The rest of our week was a lot of coming home, eating dinner and watching revenge. I got to go to the market for the first time to get veggies for dinner. One of the boda (Motor bike taxis) drivers I use, and friend, Kenneth came with me. It was so fun going up and down the aisles of this outdoor market with a variety of  vegetables and people selling them. Not going to lie the market was a bit intimidating, I mean I am used to the simplicity of Trader Joe’s , and you never really know what your getting here. 
On Thursday nights my roommate hosts a girls dinner and bible study, power was not there so we enjoyed each others company and talk of God by candle light. One of the Krochet Kids interns shared about our hearts and how God wants us to have pure hearts. It was a really sweet time and it really made me think about how sometimes we do things because we are assigned to it, or because its part of our job, and how easy it is for us to forget that God  has something to show us and teach us in every situation. We have to go into everyday looking for what the Lord wants us to see, wants us to hear and wants us to do. God wants us to have pure hearts, starting everyday open and vulnerable to where he wants us. It was cool seeing this community of girls, who live in a place so different from their homes, just come together in a similar stance of surrender, everyday calling upon the Lord to get them through. I really don’t see how you can live out of your comfort zone with out God. There are just too many things tugging at my heart and my attention, and too many things I don’t understand to not turn to Him in dependence and surrender. My constant prayer is to be emptied of myself and completely filled with the Lord. I don’t want to get in the way of myself fully surrendering, fully living or fully stepping out into the Lords will. My time here has been short but I already feel it flying by; I don’t want to take anything for granted or allow myself to stay in a place of comfort. I want to take risks and step out, I want to grow and be stretched, I want to be broken, I want to be filled with Joy, I want my eyes to be fully open and my heart to be ready. 
We had breakfast with a bunch of girls on Saturday, the community here is awesome. It makes me sad that I am only here a short time, but it makes me happy for the people who are here long term, that they have people to turn to and people who understand. Stef, my new friend Ashley and I spent the afternoon looking for outfits in the market for a party this Saturday. The market is pretty much like an outdoor thrift store; we found some good finds and had a good time laughing at all the possible options. Stef and I had an appointment with a guy named Robert who was to show us some houses for rent. Who knew I would be house hunting in Africa while my roommates back home were house hunting in Costa Mesa. I love it. I love experiencing anything and everything. We found a compound that would be an amazing new work place for our ladies. Be praying that the landlord lowers the rent; this compound is gorgeous, spacious and is filled with huge trees and flowers. The next day was Sunday and we both desperately needed to sleep in. I headed to the third service at church. The third service is the Swahili service and is also the service our ladies go to. It is always so beautiful being apart of the worship and prayer, It was a great service and I got to see some of my friends as well. I finally got to see Sharif and spend some time with him. I am really excited for him to be in Gulu this summer. I ended my night having breakfast for dinner with Stef and the bits girls and then Skyping with my Dad for fathers day! I thank God everyday for blessing me with this summer in Uganda. As my first month comes to a close I am expectant and excited for what God has in store for me in July. I know my posts are long, and lack some photos but thank you for keeping up with them and  thank you for your constant prayers and support. 

Prayer request: The new compound for Remnant, for the health of all the Remnant ladies, Stef, all the ex-pats here in Gulu, for my health, stepping out, confidence and growth.

Love always,
Mary Joy

p.s. My friend and bod a driver Tony gave me the Acholi name Moon princess ( I will figure out the spelling for you), and he calls me butterfly and teaches me how to whistle in style.

3 comments:

  1. My heart is warmed reading your post:) Prayers have gone up for favor and good health....and water too. Love you lots...hugs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we need to start calling you Moon Princess.....? That may take some getting used to....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary!

    Sorry so long in posting. Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to hear you have some good community over there. I'm also proud of you for taking over the other week when Stef left! Way to go!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete